The Human presence in this territory may go back to the Middle Paleolithic, as it was found recently archaeological remains of this period. But it was from the Neolithic (5,000 BC to 3,000 BC) that megalith-building populations settled all over the territory.
From Alcoutim, where Portugal is bordered by Spain through the emblematic river Guadiana, we walk through Baixo Guadiana enjoying the unique beauty of the natural Algarve, meeting the locals and craftsman by the small villages. By the Guadiana river we walk by the ancient route used between the 1950 to the 1970 by the fiscal brigade in the fight against smuggling from the Spanish side.
A specialized guide will accompany you, show you the nicest spots and explain what you're observing and the surroundings.
In the Baixo Guadiana Walking Tour you can experience the customs and the traditional arts that last in this region. Certainly a great highlight to your holidays!
World's Leading Destination 2017, 2018 and 2019
6 to 7 hours
Minimum of 24 hours in advance
- Comfortable clothes, suitable shoes and sun cream are advised.
- Bring some snacks for the lunch break.
50€ per person
Walking day with specialized guide
Bottle of water
Snacks for lunch break
Pick-up & drop-off transfers (Prices p. person):
- 20€ from the areas: Monte Gordo and Vila Real de Santo António.
- 30€ from the area: Tavira.
- 40€ from the areas: Faro and Olhão.
- 50€ from the areas: Vilamoura, Quarteira, Loulé, Almancil, Vale do Lobo and Quinta do Lago.
- 60€ from the area: Albufeira.
- 70€ from the areas: Portimão, Lagoa, Carvoeiro and Armação de Pêra.
- 80€ from the area: Lagos.
- 90€ from the area: Sagres.
- Other areas: on request.