We walk through the mountains of Caldeirão, area that connects the Algarve to the Alentejo region. Despite its modest altitude (highest point 589m) it makes a very peculiar scenery where rounded elevations are cut by a dense river network, mostly made up of temporary watercourses.
In the fields of these mountains we can find almond, carob and olive trees. Near the valleys with some watercourses we find orange and loquat trees. The almond and the orange trees were brought by the Arabs, who are at the origin of the current settlement - scattered villages with small dimensions.
During centuries local people rarely went to the coast, the news from outside and products (as fish and salt) were brought by people riding pack animals.
A specialized guide will accompany you, show you the nicest spots and explain what you're observing and the surroundings.
The Serra do Caldeirão Walking Tour takes us to ancient times where life happens slowly. Certainly a great highlight to your holidays!
5 to 6 hours
Minimum of 24 hours in advance
- Comfortable clothes, suitable shoes and sun cream are advised.
- Bring some snacks for the lunch break.
50€ per person
Walking day with specialized guide
Bottle of water
Snacks for lunch break
Pick-up & drop-off transfers (Prices p. person):
- 20€ from the areas: Vilamoura, Quarteira, Loulé, Almancil, Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago, Faro, Olhão and Tavira.
- 30€ from the areas: Albufeira, Monte Gordo and Vila Real de Santo António.
- 40€ from the areas: Portimão, Lagoa, Carvoeiro and Armação de Pêra.
- 60€ from the area: Lagos.
- 70€ from the area: Sagres.
- Other areas: on request.