This bicycle tour along the Danube from Passau to Vienna excites cyclists from all over the world. Uniformly signage and well developed cycle tracks lead you through a varied landscape with a lot of cultural treasuries.
You start the trip in the “Three Rivers City” Passau, which is located in the southeast of Germany at the Austria border. Following the Danube you soon reach its’ famous meander-formed river bed in Schlögen, which has been appointed a „Natural Wonder of Austria“. You continue cycling and pass by Linz (European Capital of Culture in 2009) and the important pilgrimage site in Maria Taferl till you reach the vineyards and castles of the Wachau (World Culture and Natural Heritage of UNESCO). Worth seeing are for example the Benedictine abbey in Melk, the baroque townscape in Dürnstein and the historic centre of Krems. The last stage leads you past the Roman town Tulln to the metropolis of Vienna.
- General Information
- Dates 2021
- Prices 2021
- Private Conditions of Reservations and Cancellations
Day 1 - Passau
Individual arrival in Passau. Hand over of travel documents and rental bikes (if booked).
Individual sightseeing in Passau (historic center, cathedral St. Stephan, corner of 3 rivers, castle Veste Oberhaus). We recommend going on a 3-rivers-boat tour through Passau (runs daily, every 30 minutes,from 10 a.m. to 17 p.m)
Cat. A: Overnight at the 4* hotel Spitzberg or same category.
Cat. B: Overnight at the 3* hotel Best Western Amedia or same category.
Day 2 - Schlögen / Wesenufer (40 km)
Passing Obernzell and Engelhartszell, you cycle along the river bank to Wesenufer or Schlögen.
Cat. A: Overnight at the 4* hotel & S.-kultur at the Danube or in comparable 3* hotel.
Cat. B: Overnight at the 3* hotel Freizeitanlange or same category.
Day 3 - Linz (54 km)
From the most famous part of the Danube, the “Schlögener Schlinge”, start a delightful day of cycling through an area of outstanding natural beauty to Aschach and further on to Linz.
Cat. A: Overnight at the 4* hotels Schillerpark, Courtyard or same category.
Cat. B: Overnight at the 3* or 4* hotels Donauwelle, Star Inn or same category.
Day 4 - Grein/Ardagger (63 km)
Along the Danube through the Machland via the power station Abwinden to Mauthausen and past castle Wallsee. Further on into the Strudengau to the destination Grein/Ardagger or Bad Kreuzen.
Cat. A: Overnight 3* hotel Aumühle, Martha or same category.
Cat. B: Overnight 3* hotel in Ardagger or Bad Kreuzen.
Day 5 - Marbach/Maria Taferl (49 km)
Passing the “fabulous” island Wörth you reach the region Nibelungengau; further on you cycle past the Habsburg-castle Persenbeug and cycle to the place of pilgrimage Maria Taferl/Marbach or Leiben.
Cat. A: Overnight at the 4* hotels Rose, Krone Kaiserhof or same category.
Cat. B: Overnight at the 3* hotels Wachauerhof in Marbach or in Leiben.
Day 6 - Krems/Traismauer (47-54 km)
Cycle tour to Melk (famous abbey) and further on into the UNESCO world heritage region Wachau. There you pass the villages Spitz, Weissenkirchen and Dürnstein and reach Krems or Traismauer.
Cat. A: Overnight at the 4* hotel Arte in Krems or same category.
Cat. B: Overnight at the 3* hotels Nibelungenhof, Schwanen in Traismauer or same category.
Shortcut possible by boat trip through the Wachau e.g. from Spitz (departure 11.40 a.m.) or Dürnstein (departure 12.30 p.m.) to Krems, arrival approx. 12.50 p.m. (small changes of train schedule possible 2021)
Day 7 - Vienna (57-73 km)
Via the roman town Tulln you reach Höflein, a suburb of Vienna; Return of rental bikes* and by train (approx. € 5,00 p.p., payable on spot) to Vienna OR further on by bike past Klosterneuburg in the centre of the city of Waltz. The metropolis offers many sights (St. Stephen's cathedral, castle & zoo Schönbrunn, Viennese Prater, Danube tower, castle Belvedere).
Cat. A: Overnight at the 4* hotels Kaiserwasser or same category.
Cat. B: Overnight at the 4* hotel Roomz or same category.
**Return of bikes and special equipment possible in Tulln OR Höflein / except e- bikes - must be delivered at the info– point in Vienna/directly on the Danube cycle path in the outskirts of Vienna.
Day 8 - end of cycle trip
Booking of additional nights or journey home.
- Unguarded parking space on the outskirts/close to the info-point, where rental bikes are handed out (fenced property): 40 € per car/stay – No Reservation Possible, due to availability/payable on spot.
- Public garage (close to station): 5€ per day – payable on spot.
Entrainment of own bikes
- Is possible, but on your own risk. MegaSport does not take responsibility for any defects and damages on your own bikes during the whole cycle tour as well as during any transport-journey.
- Return transfer of your own bikes is also possible - on request.
- You stay overnight at the mentioned hotels or comparable one according to the itinerary.
- Cat. A: throughout 4* hotels, except in Grein (very good 3* hotel) and ev. in Schlögen.
- Cat. B: good 3* hotels and in Vienna at a 4* hotel.
- Daily breakfast buffet or extended breakfast. If booking half board: 3 course-dinner at hotel or partly outside hotel in close restaurant.
In the map you will find the route of your journey/your travels.
Daily arrival from 22nd of April to 03rd of October (= last arrival)
22nd to 28th of April
27th of September to 03rd October
29th of April to 06th of May
07th to 30th of June
06th to 26th of September
07th of May to 06th of June
01st of July to 05th of September
> The day of arrival appoints the season!
Prices per person
|Off-Season||Low Season||High Season|
Double Room (Cat. A)
|Double Room (Cat. B)
||398 €||515 €||536 €|
|Single supplement (Cat A)||
|Single supplement (Cat. B)|| 156 €
Half board supplement (Cat. A)
7 x 3-course dinner
Half board supplement (Cat. B)
7 x 3-course dinner
- 7 x BB in double room
- Luggage service from Passau to Vienna incl. liability up to € 700€ p.p.
- Saddle bag (1 per person) and 1.5L bottle of mineral water
- Detailed travel document with tour book incl. maps (D, E, F, ES, IT, NL, DK)
- GPS-Tracks on request
- Daily telephone assistance
Not included: city taxes approx. € 1.50 pp – payable on spot
- rental bike (7-gear or 21-gear / 28 inch) 72 €
- rental e-bike 160 €
- Transfer of own bikes (without transport insurance) 24€ (per bike)
- Transfer of own bikes (with transport insurance) 67€ (per bike)
- Transfer from Vienna to Passau (2 options) 36 €
1. Train (Monday-Friday): 2nd class, free choice of trains (except “Westbahn”, no transfer to train station), without changes, runs every 2 hours. Luggage service directly from hotel back to Infopoint/Passau.
2. Bus each Saturday & Sunday: pick-up service directly from the hotel in Vienna and transfer by bus to the Infopoint/parking space (arr. Passau approx. 13:30 h)
- Additional nights in Passau and Vienna on request
Please read the General and Private terms and conditions carefully. These conditions, together with other information provided during a booking, establish the terms and conditions of contract between you and MegaSport.
Click here to consult the General Conditions of Reservations and Cancellations.
PRIVATE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1.1 When submitting a withdrawal from the trip / stay the customer undertakes to assume the following cancellation costs:
1.1.1 Cancellation up to 94 days before the program starts - 10% of the total amount of the reservation.
1.1.2 Cancellation from 93 to 52 days before the program starts - 50% of the total amount of the reservation.
1.1.3 Cancellation from 51 to 38 days before the program starts - 70% of the total reservation amount.
1.1.4 Cancellation from 37 to 8 days before the start of the program - 90% of the total amount of the reservation.
1.1.5 Cancellation from 7 days until the beginning of the program or no show - 100% of the total amount of the reservation.
2.1 For changes of reservations (e.g. change of date, hotel category, itinerary, board incl. special requests as allergies, vegetarian meals, etc.) from 30 days before arrival, we charge per booking process a processing fee of € 25 and from 10 days before arrival € 50, processing fee (once per booking).
2.2 Changes to another trip is only possible in form of cancellation and subsequent rebooking.
2.2.1 In case of cancellation, ask MegaSport Travel about the trips available for the subsequent rebooking.